Spicy Tofu with Pea Pods, Bell Pepper and Orange Sauce
This is one of our favorite ways to enjoy an Asian flavored meal, with the tropical addition of orange. It’s a light and refreshing meal, but also substantial enough to be filling and satisfying.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. spicy tofu pieces
- 1 sweet red bell pepper or long pointed pepper
- 7 oz pea pods (200 g)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 organic oranges, zest from 1 and juice from both
- 1 cup vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/8-1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash cayenne
- dash ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Slice the bell pepper in thin strips.
- Slice the onion in thin rings.
- If the pea pods are small, leave them whole, if they are large, slice on the diagonal in half.
- Zest one of the oranges, then juice both.
- Make the sauce by combining the vegetable bouillon, orange juice, zest, soy sauce, cayenne, ginger and cornstarch.
- Mix well to make a smooth liquid.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the pepper pieces and begin to saute until soft.
- Add the onion rings and saute.
- Add the pea pods and tofu pieces.
- When the pea pods begin to soften, but are still bright in color and crunchy, add the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Turn down the heat and stir until the sauce is clear and thick.
- We enjoyed the meal over rice.
Please consider a donation for Jears, the Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support, a coalition created to positively support rescue efforts for the animals who have been affected by the devastating earthquake that hit Japan March 11, 2011 and its aftermath.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.