Ratatouille Couscous Salad
Ratatouille is such a nice mixture of flavors. We enjoy it in many different ways. Here is a tasty salad using these lovely summer vegetables.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1 eggplant, cut in small cubes
- 1 small zucchini, cut in small cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and cut in small pieces
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of paprika (optional)
- Place the couscous in a saucepan with 3 cups of water.
- Bring the couscous to a boil, then cut back the heat to a soft simmer.
- Cook the couscous until almost all of the water has been cooked off and the couscous is soft.
- Remove from the heat, place a lid on the pan and allow the couscous to absorb the rest of the water.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Heat a large frying pan and saute all of the vegetables mixing well.
- Add the thyme and alt and mix well.
- When the vegetables have cooked al dente, or to your preference, remove from the heat.
- Place the couscous in a strainer and rinse with water to remove the extra starch so that the balls of couscous will not clump.
- Place the couscous in a large bowl.
- Add the vegetables and mix well.
- Season to taste with additional thyme, optional paprika or pepper.
- Shortly before serving, chop the fresh basil and mix into the salad.
- Serve the salad at room temperature.