Pea Burgers with Apple Chutney
We really enjoyed these for our lunch today. They taste especially nice with the apple chutney.
Yield: 8-9 burgers
for the pea burgers:
- 2 cups fresh peas, blanched
- 3 spring onions, white and green parts sliced
- 10-12 fresh mint leaves
- 2 medium small potatoes, peeled and cooked
- 2 egg replacements
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- 1 cup apple chutney
for the apple chutney (makes 2-3 cups):
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 5 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tbs. oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
to make the apple chutney:
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the finely sliced onions and saute until glassy.
- Add the apple juice and reduce the heat.
- Add the raisins and cook until the raisins have swollen. (2 or 3 minutes)
- Add the chopped apples.
- Add the seasonings, vinegar and sugar.
- Cook slowly until all have soften and become a thick, well seasoned mixture.
- If you want to preserve the apple chutney for later, properly prepare your preserving jars by boiling.
- Place the hot chutney in the recently sanitized jars, cover and boil in water for 10 minutes to seal. The prepared chutney will last for a year.
to make the pea burgers:
- Split the pea pods and remove the peas.
- Brig a pot of water to boil and cook the peas for about 3-5 minutes,
- Place the peas immediately in icy cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Put 1 & 1/2 cups of peas in a food processor, hold the remaining 1/2 cup for later.
- Meanwhile, peel and cook the 2 potatoes until soft.
- Add the potatoes to the peas and add the mint leaves.
- Pulse the food processor to make a chunky mixture.
- The choice is yours how chunky or smooth you want the mixture.
- Put the pea and potato mixture in a large bowl.
- Chop the spring onions and add to the mixture.
- Add the remaining peas.
- Add the salt and pepper
- Mix the egg replacement mixture with a bit of water and add to the pea, potato mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the bread crumbs to make a stiff mass.
- Allow the mixture to rest for 10-15 minutes or place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Form the burgers using about 2 tablespoons of mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the burgers until lightly golden on each side.
- Set the burgers on a paper towel to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the burgers hot with the apple chutney.
We also enjoyed these on a different day (2nd photo), using more potatoes and fewer peas. It was a handy way to use up cooked potatoes. Both versions were delicious.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.