Vegan Black Salsify Fritters
Black salsify is an interesting, forgotten root vegetable that we have grown this year in our garden. It has a very mild flavor, some say it resembles asparagus. We enjoyed these fritters and are looking forward to growing more black salsify next year.
Yield: 5-6 patties
- 10-12 ounces black salsify
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 egg replacements
- 3 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chipped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- oil for frying
- soy yogurt as garnish
- lemon wedges as optional additional garnish
- As salsify emits a sticky milky substance, it is best to scrub the salsify and peel it using a vegetable peeler user running water.
- Once the salsify is peeled, use a food processor to coarsely grate it.
- Heat the vegan margarine in a frying pan and add the salsify and thyme.
- Sauté the salsify until it begins to soften. It will be about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the parsley.
- When the salsify has become soft, remove from the heat and place in a bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Add the parsley, garlic and the egg replacement.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Form the salsify mixture into 5-6 patties.
- Heat the oil in frying pan and fry the fritters until golden on both sides.
- Remove from the heat.
- Lightly sprinkle a bit of lemon juice on each of the patties and top with a dollop of soy yogurt.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.