Baguettes with Avocado Kiwi Salsa and Spicy Tofu Pieces
This is a delicious lunch or appetizer that we enjoyed today. The combination of kiwi with the avocado is really lovely.
Yield: 8 open faced sandwiches
- 4 individual ciabatta baguettes or rolls
- 4 ounces tofu, cut in small pieces sautéed with spices
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 3 medium ripe kiwis, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander or cilantro, washed and chopped
- 2-4 splashes hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave or rice syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil to brush the baguettes
- fresh sprouts as a garnish
- Prepare the spicy tofu pieces. Blot the tofu dry, sauté in a lightly oiled pan with spices of choice such as taco seasoning. When done, remove from the pan, drain on a paper towel and set aside until needed.
- Peel the kiwi and chop in small pieces. Place the kiwi pieces in a medium bowl.
- Finely mince the onion and add to the kiwi.
- Peel the avocados, slice in half, remove the nut and cut the avocados in small pieces. Add the avocado pieces to the kiwi and onions.
- Add the lime juice, hot sauce and agave syrup and mix well.
- Chop the coriander or cilantro and add to the salsa. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Slice the baguettes, lightly oil with olive oil and place on a grill or griddle to brown. When the baguettes are golden brown, remove from the grill.
- Place a generous amount of the avocado/kiwi salsa on each of the the baguettes.
- Add a few pieces of spicy tofu.
- Serve the baguettes garnished with a few fresh sprouts on top.
An alternative for the spicy tofu could be some sort of vegan deli slices.