Protein Packed Quinoa Salad
This protein packed salad tastes as great and refreshing as it looks. We have really been enjoying this salad.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 10-12 ounces fava beans, pod removed, blanched and skins removed
- 1 bunch red radishes, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces walnuts
- 16 ounces seedless grapes
- 8 ounces soy cheese, cut in small pieces
- 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic, white wine or fruit vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the quinoa.
- Place the quinoa in a saucepan. Add the 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt and cook until the quinoa is soft.
- When the quinoa is done, remove from the heat, drain well and place in a bowl.
- Prepare the fava beans, if they are fresh, remove from the pods, if frozen, then open the box.
- Prepare a sauce pan of boiling water and blanch the favas.
- When they begin to float in the boiling water, plunge them into cold water and allow to cool.
- Once they are cool, remove the skins.
- Add the skinned fava beans to the quinoa.
- We made the salad the day before so that the seasoning would marinate the salad. If you choose to do this then make the dressing at this stage.
- To make the dressing, blend the dressing ingredients together, then pour over the quinoa and beans and mix well. Then cool in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Just before serving the salad, wash and slice the grapes, chop and toast the walnuts.
- Clean and thinly slice the radishes and cut the soy cheese in small pieces.
- Bring the salad together by adding all the prepared ingredients and gently mixing.
- The salad can be served in a bowl, or on a bed of lettuce or salad greens.
Edamame can be used stead of the fava beans, and pecans can also substitute for walnuts.