Creamy Pasta with Eggplant
This was a delicious meal we enjoyed lat night. It was easy to make and very filling.
Serving Size: 4
- 12 ounces pasta (e.g. farfalla, rotini or shells)
- 1 medium large eggplant, cubed
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3-4 ounces pine nuts or sunflower seeds, dry toasted
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 coves garlic, minced
- 3 sprig onions, sliced
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- handful fresh basil leaves, washed
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- In a medium bowl, mix the soy yogurt, sliced spring onions, minced garlic, chili pepper, Italian herbs and vegetable bouillon powder.
- Taste the mixture and add additional seasonings as needed, possibly salt and pepper depending upon the vegetable bouillon powder used, or maybe some nutritional yeast if you wish.
- Toast the pine nuts or sunflower seeds in a dry frying pan until lightly golden then remove them from the pan to await further use.
- Wash and cube the eggplant.
- De-seed and slice the red bell pepper
- Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Put the pasta in the boiling water and cook al dente.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the cubed eggplant.
- Add the red bell pepper pieces and continue to sauté.
- When the eggplant pieces have softened and are lightly browned, add the cherry tomato halves and turn the heat down.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain off the water and return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the creamy soy yogurt sauce to the pasta and stir to mix well.
- Place the pasta on a large serving platter.
- Top with the sautéed eggplant, bell pepper and tomatoes.
- Snip some of the basil leaves and leave some whole and add to the top of the meal.
- Serve with the toasted seeds or nuts sprinkled on top.
We enjoyed this as a hot, main meal, but it would also make a very nice salad by allowing the pasta to cool, adding the sautéed vegetables and then later the soy yogurt sauce.