Caramel Apple Self-Saucing Pudding-Cake
Self-saucing pudding cakes have always been a nice treat. We have enjoyed, the traditional lemon as well as chocolate. Today’s treat used fresh apples and created a light caramel sauce. This is a delicious recipe and easy to make.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 & 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup +1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg replacement (we used No-Egg by Orgran)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 & 1/4 cup boiling water
- Melt the vegan margarine.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Create the egg substitute.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Grease an oven-proof baking dish.
- Place the flour, white sugar, baking powder and pinch of salt in a bowl.
- In a second bowl, pour the non-dairy milk, vanilla, melted vegan margarine and egg substitute.
- Mix well.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Arrange the apple slices in the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix to moisten.
- Pour the batter over the apples.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the batter.
- Boil 1 & 1/4 cups water.
- Place the brown sugar in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over.
- Stir to mix.
- Pour the brown sugar water gently over the top of the walnuts and place the dish in the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes or until the pudding has risen and the top is golden brown.
- We served the pudding warm, with non-dairy whipped topping. It would be also nice with non-dairy ice cream.