Vegan Rhubarb Orange Self-saucing Pudding-Cake
Rhubarb is one of our spring and early summer favorite. We enjoy it in both sweet and savory dishes. This is a lovely sweet treat that could be served at spring holiday brunches or also on Mother’s Day.
Serving Size: 4
- 5 tablespoons (75 grams) vegan margarine
- 1 & 1/2 lb. (800 grams) rhubarb, cleaned and sliced in 1 inch (2,5 cm) pieces
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- 1 cup (225 grams) sugar
- 3 egg replacements
- 3/4 cup (75 grams) self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup (200 ml) non-dairy milk (we used almond milk)
- oil to spray an approximate 7″X10″ baking dish (17X27 cm)
- 1 orange as optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Zest 2 oranges and then juice them.
- Clean and slice the rhubarb.
- Reserve a few pieces of rhubarb as garnish for the top of the pudding-cake.
- Place most of the rhubarb in a pan with the orange juice and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Gently cook the rhubarb until it begins to soften, but is has not broken down and lost the form.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to separate the liquid from the rhubarb pieces, as you will be sing them separately.
- Cream the rest of the sugar and the vegan margarine in a large bowl.
- Add the orange zest and stir to mix.
- Add the egg replacements and mix again to a light fluffy mixture.
- Gradually add the flour, the orange rhubarb mixture and the milk.
- Mix only enough to create an even batter.
- Spray or grease an oven-proof baking form.
- Place the rhubarb pieces in the bottom of the form.
- Spoon the batter over the top and spread evenly.
- We decorated the top with organic orange slices and the reserved rhubarb.
- Place the pudding cake in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and firm.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to set for 10 minutes.
- We enjoyed the pudding cake with non-dairy whipped topping, it is also lovely with non-dairy ice cream.