Mixed Bean Bowl with Eggplant and Green Olives
This is a great wintertime recipe. It’s warming, filling and very nutritious.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 14 ounces mixed beans (cooked)
- 3-4 tomatoes, quartered
- 1-1½ cups green olives, pitted
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spices (cumin, paprika, cayenne)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup non-dairy cheese, shredded (more if desired)
- cilantro or coriander leaves as garnish
- Soak overnight about ¼ cup of dried kidney beans, white beans, black beans, brown beans, and cranberry beans (or any of your favorite).
- The next day, drain the water and cook the beans in lightly salted water until they are soft.
- Alternatively you can buy a large can of mix beans already cooked.
- Slice the onion and cube the eggplant
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion. I used another large soup pot.
- Add the eggplant pieces and also sauté until they begin to soften.
- As the beans begin to soften, drain and add to the cooking onion and eggplant pieces.
- Drain the olives and add to the beans.
- Add the Cajun spices.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper or possibly more Cajun spices.
- This is a mildly flavorful mixture that allows the beans to be the central focus of flavor. Although you can add garlic, and more spices as desired.
- Serve the bean bowl warm with a bit of non-dairy cheese on top and a few coriander or cilantro leaves.