Vegan Pea Salad
This is a favourite salad served both in the States and in Great Britain. We’ve made a simple vegan version of this salad to enjoy at home, at barbecues or pot luck suppers.
- 4 cups green peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup smoked tofu pieces
- 1 red onion
- 6 ounces vegan cheese, cubed
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- ½-¾ cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thaw frozen peas or blanch fresh peas and allow to cool in a bowl.
- Cut the smoked tofu into pieces.
- Slice the red onion in half then slice the halves into 1/2 moon shapes, later separate the individual layers.
- Cut the vegan cheese.
- Mince the parsley.
- Mix the non-dairy yogurt with the vinegar and vegetable bouillon powder.
- Add most of the parsley saving a bit as optional garnish.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Add the tofu and cheese to the peas.
- Add most of the dressing and mix well.
- Place in the refrigerator to season for at least 1/2 an hour.
- Shortly before serving, allow the salad to come to room temperature.
- Refresh with the rest of the dressing.
- Mix again.
- Garnish with a few tofu pieces or parsley.