Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Crepes
These delicious crepes are totally worth the effort. It may seem like a lot of steps, but it actually isn’t so much, and goes quite quickly. These are really a favorite of ours.
Yield: 8-12 crepes depending on size
for the crepeps:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 3¼ cups water
- 1 tabelspoon sesame oil
- 1 tabelspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
for the filling:
- 1½ cup soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder, (or salt, pepper, onion powder and Italian herbs)
- 4 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 large onion
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- chives, chopped
- oil for cooking
- Mix the batter for the crepes at least 1/2 hour before making crepes so it can properly hydrate. Make sure you sieve the chickpea flour as it does get lumpy/clumpy. Place all the crepe ingredients in a bowl and whisk to blend. I use a fork.
- For the sauce mix the soy yogurt and vegetable bouillon or spices and herbs in a small bowl.
- Slice the onion and sauté until glassy in a lightly oiled frying pan. When done, remove the onions from the pan.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to the pan, sauté until soft. Remove from the pan and place in a bowl for use later.
- Place the spinach in the frying pan and lightly sauté until just wilted. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Heat your crepe pan.
- Spray it lightly with oil and place 1 soup ladle of crepe batter in the center of the pan
- When the batter has bubbles on the top and appears dry, flip over to lightly cook on the 2nd side.
when done, remove and set on a plate to be filled.
- Cook the rest of the crepes until all of the batter has been used
- Meanwhile, to fill the crepes, lightly spread the crepe with some of the yogurt sauce.
- Place some of the sautéed spinach on top, then some of the mushrooms and topped with some of the onions.
- Sprinkle chives on top. Do this for each of the crepes and serve warm.
These are great as a lunch, served a with a nice salad, or a lovely brunch or a special breakfast in bed morning.