Salsify with Pearl Barley, Kale and Spicy Tofu Pieces
Salsify is one of our favorite winter vegetables. It is very mild in flavor, rather like white asparagus. We really enjoyed this meal using the salsify with barley in a risotto way.
Serving Size: 4
- 8 black salsify roots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 quart vegetable bouillon (divided)
- 2-3 cups kale, chopped
- 8 ounces prepared spicy tofu pieces
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 ounces vegan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the salsify under running water (so that way your hands will not become sticky from the sap).
- Cut the salsify roots into bite sized pieces.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the olive oil.
- Place the salsify in the oil and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and the 1 cup of pearl barley.
- Toast the barley stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of vegetable bouillon to cook the barley.
- Turn the heat down to medium and allow the barley to cook.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable bouillon to the cooing salsify.
- Turn the heat down and place a plate or lid on the frying pan to allow the salsify to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When the salsify are soft, and the barley has cooked to soft grains, drain any extra water off.
- Add the barley to the salsify and stir to mix well.
- Add the spicy tofu pieces.
- Add the kale and stir to mix.
- Add the nutritional yeast and the grated vegan cheese.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.