Field Salad, Kohlrabi and Apple Salad with Minty Poppy seed Dressing
We really enjoyed this lovely fresh minty salad. You could use any salad greens that you prefer, the crunchy kohlrabi and apple give a great texture and then minty dressing is delicious.
Serving Size: 4
- 3-4 cups field salad (lambs quarters, mache), cleaned
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchstick sized pieces
- 1 large organic apple, cored and cut into thin slices
for the dressing:
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons chamomile syrup or other sweet syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- splash lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons mint leaves
- 1-2 drops mint extract
- ½ teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- ½ teaspoon mild grainy mustard
- 2-3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Wash and spin dry the field salad.
- Place some cold water in a small bowl, add a splash of lemon juice.
- Peel the kohlrabi and slice into matchsticks.
- Place the kohlrabi pieces in the lemon water.
- Wash and core the apple.
- Slice the apple in thin slices and place in the lemon water with the kohlrabi pieces.
- Make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, put the vinegar, lemon juice and sweet syrup.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and whisk to mix.
- Add the mint leaves and drops of mint extract.
- Add the mustard and whisk.
- Add the soy yogurt and 1-2 teaspoons of poppy seeds.and mix well. If you want more poppy seeds add the 3rd teaspoon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, or additional mint as needed.
- To make the salad:
- Drain the kohlrabi and apples from the lemon water.
- Place the field salad in a large bowl.
- Add the kohlrabi and apple pieces.
- Drizzle some of the dressing over and lightly toss to mix.
- Serve the salad on individual plates or bowls, with dressing at the side for individuals to help them selves to more.