Marinated Kohlrabi and Mango Salad
This is a very nice fall salad. By marinating the thin kohlrabi slices, they become softer and very flavorful. The salad tastes especially nice with the vegan cream cheese and the mint and basil dressing.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1-2 med. kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons sunflower seeds or pine nuts, toasted
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ¼-½ cups thickened soy yogurt or vegan cream cheese
for the marinade:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
for the herb sauce:
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 large springs mint, minced
- 1 small bunch basil, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch salt and pepper
- First make the marinade for the kohlrabi. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, sweetener, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Peel and thinly slice the kohlrabi (I used a mandolin).
- Place the kohlrabi slices in a bowl and pour the marinade over. Gently mix to cover each slice with marinade. Cover the bowl and allow the kohlrabi to season for 1 hour or more.
- Next, make the herbed sauce.
- Strip the leaves from the mint twigs and the basil leaves also, and mince them.
- Place in a small bowl.
- Add the neutral oil, minced garlic salt and pepper and mix well.
- Toast the sunflower seeds or pine nuts in a dry frying pan until they are golden brown.
- Peel and slice the mango and cut into bite sized pieces.
- To assemble the salad:
- Using a slotted spoon, place a generous amount of kohlrabi on each salad plate.
- Add the mango slices.
- Dollop a bit of the thickened soy yogurt or vegan cream cheese here and there and place a bit of the herbed sauce here and there over the salad.
- Add the onion slices.
- Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top and serve.