Vegan Asparagus Tart
This makes a lovely meal for a hot day. The nutmeg in this recipe goes really nicely with the white asparagus.
Serving Size: 4
- 500 grams white asparagus
- 4-6 sheets puff pastry
- 1 tomato, cut in eighths
- 8 tbs. chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 5 tbs. soy milk
- 3 tbs. vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- cayenne pepper
- Peel the asparagus and cut off the woody, lower part of the stem.
- Cut the asparagus into bite sized pieces, and cook until al dente.
- Remove from the hot water and set aside.
- Depending upon the size (9 inch or so) of your tort pan, pie plate or quiche dish, you will need 4-6 sheets of puff pastry.
- Oil your pastry dish using, and place the puff pastry to cover the bottom and sides evenly.
- (You can over lap a bit, it won’t be a problem).
- Using a fork prick the bottom and side of the dough.
- In a blender, place the soy milk, chickpea flour, the tomato and vinegar.
- Pulse to make a smooth batter.
- Season with salt pepper, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 (F).
- Place the asparagus pieces evenly in the pastry dish and pour the batter over the asparagus.
- Smooth the batter to make sure it is spread evenly.
- Place in the oven to bake for 25- 30 minutes.
- It is done when the center is firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.