We’ve been wanting to create more recipes that are sweet but not so loaded with sugars and fats. This spread was delicious last Sunday morning on freshly made English muffins. It would be great as a sandwich spread, or as a filling for turnover.
Yield: 1 cup
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese like Tofutti’s ‘Better than Cream Cheese’
- 20 fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bring the vegan cream cheese to room temperature.
- Wash the cherries, cut in half and remove the pits and cut the rest into small pieces.
- Do this over a small bowl to collect the chopped cherries and the juice while preparing.
- Add the 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir the cherries well, this will help to draw more of the juice from the cherries.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Add the walnuts to the cherries.
- Add the vegan cream cheese to the cherries and gently mix.
- Season to taste. We enjoyed the flavor at this time, however if you wish it to be sweeter you can add agave syrup, maple or more sugar.
- Also optional is cinnamon, but we did not want to overpower the blend of walnuts and cherries.