This is a very hearty and filling quiche. It is quite tasty and pretty to look at as well. It would make a nice holiday brunch or a good supper meal.
Serving Size: 6 (one 9 inch quiche)
for the crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cold vegan margarine, cut in cubes or spoon sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 tablespoons cold water
for the filling:
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb butternut squash or pumpkin, peeled and roasted (bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until fork tender)
- 1 lb. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
for the quiche ingredients:
- 1 lb. firm tofu, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- pinch red pepper flakes
- dash nutmeg
- Begin by roasting the butternut squash or pumpkin.
- Cut the squash or pumpkin, remove the skin and the seeds and slice in 1/4 in slices.
- Place in an oven-proof baking dish, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over and mix.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, also thaw the spinach.
to make the crust:
- Place the flours and salt in a food processor.
- Add the vegan margarine pieces and pulse to for a coarse grainy mixture.
- Add 4 tablespoons of cold water and pulse again to form a ball of dough.
- If the dough is still crumbly add 1 more tablespoon of cold water and pulse. Continue until the dough is a solid ball.
- Remove from the food processor, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1/2 hour.
- When dough is chilled, roll out to fit tart pan and chill for an additional 30 minutes.
to make the filling:
- Crumble the tofu into a blender or food processor.
- Add the rest of the quiche ingredients and blend to a smooth mixture.
- Taste the mixture and season to taste as needed.
to make the quiche:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Lightly saute the chopped onion in the other 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix the onion with the thawed, drained spinach.
- Prick the dough in the bottom of the tart form overall with a fork, to prevent the dough from swelling or rising.
- Place the spinach onion mixture as the bottom layer of the quiche.
- Place a thin layer of roasted squash on the spinach and pour the quiche mixture over the top.
- Add 1 more layer of roasted squash on the top.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool and set for 8-10 minutes.