Asparagus On Toast with Creamy Sauce
This elegant dish is very nice served for a lunch or brunch.
Yield: 8 open-faced sandwiches
for the toast:
- 8 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 12 asparagus spears, cleaned, peeled and cooked
- 8 vegan deli slices
for the creamy sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy cream
- 2 teaspoons vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (often used as soup herbs or for salads)
- optional seasonings of choice would also be paprika, nutmeg or mustard.
- Prepare the asparagus. If you are using fresh white asparagus, you will need to peel the asparagus, cut approximately the size of the bread and cook in a pot of lightly salted boiling water. If you are using fresh green asparagus, you will need to cash the spears, cut of the woody end, then cut to the size of the bread and cook in a pot of lightly salted boiling water.
- While the asparagus is cooking, make the sauce.
- Place the soy cream in a sauce pan.
- Add the vegetable bouillon powder, wine and herbs.
- Heat the mixture, taste and add any additional seasonings that you may desire.
- Toast the bread.
- To assemble lay a slice or 2 of toast on each plate, place a vegan deli slice on each piece of toast.
- Lay 2 or 3 pieces of asparagus on top of each vegan deli slice.
- Pour some of the creamy sauce over the top.