This was a very tasty dinner we enjoyed last night. It uses one of my favorite vegan cheese recipes which is non-soy, non-nut, and gluten free.
Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 lb. pasta, such as spirals, bow-ties, macaroni
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup breadcrumbs-optional
for the vegan cheese sauce:
- 2 large carrots, washed peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- dash cayenne (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- pinch sugar (optional)
to make the vegan cheddar cheese sauce:
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots and place in a small saucepan with water.
- Cook until they are soft and most of the water has evaporated.
- Puree the carrots.
- Add the rest of the ingredients mix well and return the stove to cook until thick and creamy.
- Season to taste with additional salt, cayenne or mustard.
to make the meal:
- Preheat oven to 450 F / 232 C.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- When it is boiling, cook the pasta.
- Steam the broccoli until it is al dente.
- If using frozen peas, allow to thaw. If using fresh, shell the peas and steam until al dente.
- When the pasta is done, drain, pour the vegan cheddar sauce over and mix well.
- Add the peas and broccoli and mix.
- At this point, you can either serve the pasta as it is, or if you wish to bake it then spray an oven-proof baking dish with oil.
- Fill the dish with the pasta.
- Lightly dust the top with dried bread crumbs and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
This meal works well either baked, or served from the pot from the stove-top.