An unusual but very elegant way to enjoy eggplant.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 eggplants, sliced in rounds approximately 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tbs. oil
- 2 cups soy yogurt
- 2 tsp. vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tbs. grainy mustard
- 1 tbs. paprika paste optionally tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Italian herbs
- 50 grams soy cheese, grated
- Slice the eggplants, place them in a colander and sprinkle them with salt and let them sit for about half an hour.
- After half an hour, rinse the salt off the eggplants and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and lightly brown the eggplant slices, remove from the pan and drain on kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
- Pour the soy yogurt in a bowl, add the vegetable bouillon powder and mix well.
- Add the mustard and paprika paste and mix.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 (F).
- Put a layer of the eggplants on the bottom of a greased, ovenproof baking dish.
- Put a layer of the gratin sauce over the eggplants. Follow with another layer of eggplant slices and then the gratin.
- Continue until all ingredients are used.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- For the last 10 minutes, grate the soy cheese on top, and allow it to bake until golden brown.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh thyme.