Spinach and Fennel Soup with Soy Yoghurt and Chives
Fennel adds it’s lovely mild flavor to this nice fresh spinach soup, very nice indeed.
Serving Size: 2
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 baby fennel bulbs, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fennel seeds, ground
- 600ml ml vegetable stock (1 pint)
- 100 grams baby spinach (3 1/2 oz), washed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon natural yogurt, to serve
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the chopped fennel and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the fennel is tender.
- Add the spinach to the pan and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for a further minute, then process with a hand-held blender until smooth.
- To serve, pour into a bowl and garnish with yoghurt and a sprinkling of chopped chives.
Inspired by Chef Nick Nairn of BBC cooking Ready Steady Cook