Summer tomato crostata with kale pesto
This is a really tasty treat. It’s very easy to make and kale pesto was very nice.
Serving Size: 2
- 3-4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup kale pesto
- 1 pie crust
for the pesto:
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pine nuts, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound kale, without stems
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
for the pie crust:
- 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 & 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbs. ice cold water
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine or coconut fat
for the pesto:
- Wash and cut the thick inner stem from the kale.
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and blanch the kale for 5-10 minutes. Until it has softened, but not lost it’s bring green color
- Drain and squeeze the excess water from the kale, and place in a food processor with the garlic, oil and walnuts.
- Process until it is a smooth puree.
- Remove from the food processor.
- Mix in the nutritional yeast.
for the crust:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Place 1/2 cup of flour mixture in a small bowl, and stir in water until smooth.
- Form into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool.
to make the crostata:
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 (F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment baking paper.
- Lightly flour the work space.
- Roll out the pastry dough into a roughly formed circle.
- Place the Dough onto the baking sheet.
- Put a generous layer of kale pesto on the dough, leaving the outer edge of the dough without pesto, as you will later roll it up and fold it over to form the edges of the crostata.
- Lay the slices of tomato over the pesto.
- Dust with oregano.
- Carefully roll the edges of the dough up and around the sides to for the edge of the crostata.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
You will have pesto left over, that you can use as a dip of as you use other kinds of pesto.
The pie crust is lovely and flaky, however it becomes soggy with time, so it’s best not to make it ahead of time.