Marinated Red Cabbage Salad with Walnuts and Mandarin Oranges
This is a lovely fall salad nice even in the late summer. It’s makes a very attractive addition to most meals.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 small can of Mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (agave, corn, rice syrup or whatever)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 3/4 ounce walnuts, chopped
- pinch of salt
- Place the red cabbage, balsamic vinegar, walnut oil, sweetener, and walnuts, into a bowl.
- Mix well and leave to marinate for five minutes to 1/2 an hour.
- If the cabbage is very finely shaved, then only 5 minutes is needed, if the pieces are slightly thicker it can marinate for longer, however the longer it marinates, the softer or “soggier” it becomes.
- To serve, place the salad onto a plate and top with the mandarin slices.
Inspired by Chef Phil Vickery of BBC Ready Steady Cook