Kiwi Lime Pie with Walnut Crust
Not too sweet and not too sour with a beautiful green color. With this kiwi-lime custard pie we celebrated National Pie Day on Jan. 23 (1/23). The walnut crust is especially tasty and goes nicely with the flavors of the limes and the kiwi.
Yield: 9″ pie or tart
for the crust:
- 100 grams walnuts, shelled
- 125 grams flour
- 60 grams sugar
- 60 grams soy margarine, cold cut into pieces
- 1 tsp. egg replacement
- 3-4 Tbs. cold water
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
for the filling:
- 2 cups plain soy yogurt, liquid, drained
- 3 limes, zest and juice
- 4 Tbs. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 2 Tbs. vegan pudding powder (e.g. Custard Powder from Orgran)
for the topping:
- 3-4 ripe kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced
- car jam as lemon verbina, apricot, apple or lime as glaze (optional)
For the crust:
- Grind the walnuts to the consistency of flour using a food processor or coffee grinder.
- Add the flour egg replacement and cinnamon.
- Pinch in the cold soy margarine margarine pieces and mix well, until the mixture becomes as a crumbly sand.
- Add the water and mix well to form a dough.
- Preheat the oven to 395 (F).
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface, and place in a well greased pie pan or tart form.
- Prick the bottom and sides of the dough with a fork.
- Put a layer of baking parchment in the pie and fill with beans or rice, to “blind bake” the pie.
- Blind bake the pie for 10-15 minutes, remove from the oven, take the beans or rice and baking parchemnt out, and return the pie shell to bake for 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the lime custard. Place the soy yogurt in a cheesecloth or other finely woven cloth and drain the excess liquid.
- When the excess liquid is drained, put the soy yogurt in a small sauce pan.
- Dissolve the corn starch and the custard powder in the lime juice, add to the soy yogurt, stir well to mix.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and lime zest.
- Heat the soy yogurt to a soft boil, while stirring.
- Cook until it becomes thick and as a custard.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2-3 tablespoons of clear jam with a tablespoon of water to make a thick sauce. This can be apple jam, apricot jam, ginger jam, citron melissa jam, whatever is clear.
- Meanwhile, peel 3-4 kiwis and slice thinly.
- Pour the lime custard into the baked pie crust.
- Place the kiwis on top of the lime custard.
- Using a pastry brush or spoon, brush a thin layer of jam over the kiwis as a glaze.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.