Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry shortcake is a famous American tradition. We are glad that it’s so easy to have a vegan version.
Serving Size: 8
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. cold vegan margarine, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 3/4 cup cold soy milk or soy cream
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- Soyato or other vegan whipping cream
- To make the shortcake put 2 cups of flour in a large bowl.
- Add the baking powder, sugar and the salt and mix.
- Cut the vegan margarine in small pieces into the flour mixture.
- Pinch or cut the butter well into the flour mixture. (I pinch it in by hand, it goes quicker that way).
- When the mixture has become as small pebbles of sand, it is ready to add the soy milk.
- Add the soy milk and stir with a fork or large spoon.
- Pre-heat the oven to 205 (C) / 401 (F).
- Place the dough on a lightly floured workspace and gently kneed to a soft consistency. A bit more flour may be needed if it is too wet.
- Roll or pat the dough to a 3/4-1 inch thickness.
- Using a circular form, cut out 8-10 nice sized biscuits.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, clean the strawberries and save 6 or so nice strawberries as garnish.
- Chop the rest of the strawberries and add the tablespoon of sugar.
- Allow the sugar to draw the juices from the strawberries while the biscuits are baking.
- When the biscuits are ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To serve the short cakes, slice each biscuit in half and place on an individual plate.
- Place a generous amount of the strawberry sauce on the bottom piece of shortcake.
- Place the top part on the strawberries, and top with Soyatoo or other vegan whipping ream or vegan ice “cream”.
- Garnish with sliced berries.
Basically you can use the American Baking Powder Biscuit recipe and add a tablespoon or 2 of sugar. This also works well for peach shortcakes.