Fava, Spinach and Strawberry Salad
Strawberries and spinach are a very nice pairing for salads. The fava beans add a lovely nutty flavor as well as a great green color.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 & 1/2 cups fava beans, shelled, blanched and peeled
- 1 pint strawberries, cleaned, hulled and halved
- 100 grams tofu feta
- handful mint leaves, cleaned and chopped
- handful almonds or pine nuts
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Italian herbs
- pinch of sugar
- Remove the fava beans from their pods.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and put the beans in.
- Allow them to cook, just until the begin to float.
- Then directly plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Remove the outer skin of the favas to reveal the tasty bright green bean.
- Make the dressing by combining the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper, herbs and a pinch of sugar. Season to taste.
- Clean and spin dry the spinach leaves.
- To assemble the salad:
- Mix the spinach and mint leaves together and arrange as a bed on individual salad plates.
- Lay a few strawberry halves on top of the spinach and mint.
- Add the favas around on top also.
- Sprinkle the tofu feta and almonds or pine nuts on top.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
You can make “tofu feta” by cutting the tofu in very small pieces. Then soaking it in a brine of salt, miso Italian herbs a bit of vinegar and water overnight.
Inspired by Amanida de faves tendres i maduixes from cuinaperllaminers.com.