Vegan Asparagus Casserole
This is a delicious casserole. We used fresh white asparagus, as it is just coming into season now. It would also be very nice with the green asparagus.
Serving Size: 2
- 4 slices wholewheat toast, crusts cut off
- 4 slices vegan ‘bologna” or other vegan lunch meat
- 12 fresh asparagus spears, cooked and cut in half
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg replacement (optional but helps)
- splash lemon juice
- dash nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese, grated
- Prepare the asparagus.
- If you are using fresh white asparagus, peel the outer skin with a vegetable peeler and cut the hard dried end off.
- Cook the asparagus in lightly salted, boiling water until the spears become soft. It will be about 15-20 minutes.
- If you are using fresh green asparagus, then there is o need to peel them, wash and cut the dried end off, and cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the crusts off the wholewheat bread and toast lightly in a toaster.
- Prepare the sauce by putting the soy yogurt in a bowl.
- Heat the water and dissolve the vegetable bouillon in the water.
- Add the egg replacement to the vegetable bouillon and stir to mix.
- When the vegetable bouillon egg replacement has cooled down a bit, add it to the soy yogurt to thin into a sauce.
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, optional nutmeg, and season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Lightly oil an ovenproof baking dish.
- Place one layer of toast on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Lay one layer of vegan lunch meat or bologna on the toast.
- Cut 2 or 3 asparagus stalks in half and lay the 6 pieces on top.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the asparagus, then repeat they layers once more on top so there are 6 layers in total.
- Spoon the sauce over the top and around the sides.
- Grate the vegan cheese on top and place in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until the vegan cheese has melted and become lightly golden.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
This recipe made a generous main meal for two, or it could be enjoyed by four people, with a side dish and salad.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.