Vegan Cheesecake with Chocolate Bottom and Strawberry Coulis
This makes a lovely and tasty treat. We enjoyed this over the weekend, and are looking forward to having it again as our in the garden strawberries are beginning to ripen.
Serving Size: 8
for the crust:
- 20 vegan Oreos or other chocolate vegan cookies
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine or coconut oil
for the filling:
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 4 ounces firm tofu
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 4 ounces vegan soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
for the coulis:
- 1 pint fresh strawberries,
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- splash lemon juice
Begin by soaking the cashew nuts 2 hours to over-night, whichever is more convenient. Cover the cashews with water and allow to soften.
For the crust:
- Place the vegan Oreos in a food processor and pulse to form crumbs.
- Add the vegan margarine and pulse again to mix.
- Press the cookie dough into the bottom and sides of a pie pan or spring form.
to make the cheesecake:
- Preheat the oven to 325 F / 163 C.
- Drain the water from the cashew nuts.
- Using the food processor or a blender, puree the tofu, soy yogurt and agave or maple syrup.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla and the cashews and again pulse to make a smooth consistency.
- Sample the mixture and adjust to individual taste.
- Pour the mixture over the crust and place in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center is almost set.
- Cool completely.
to make the strawberry sauce:
- Clean the strawberries and reserve some of the prettiest ones as garnish when serving.
- Remove the hulls and chop the rest into a bowl.
- Add the sugar and a splash of lemon juice and stir to mix well.
- Allow the strawberries to macerate- the juices from the strawberries will be drawn out by the sugar.
- Puree the strawberries in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- Serve slices of the cheesecake garnished with a sliced strawberry and some of the strawberry sauce.
We used maple syrup as the sweetener, which made the darker color of the cheesecake. Next time I will use agave so that it is a light creamy color.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.