Vegan Blintzes with Mixed Berry Sauce
This is a lovely way to enjoy fresh berries that are in season. It’s quite easy to make the batter and just fill with a vegan non-dairy cream cheese.
Yield: 8 medium large pancakes/blintzes
for the blintz batter:
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 2 egg replacements
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 small package yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the mixed berry sauce:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 pints mixed berries (we used red and black curants)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juiced
to make the batter:
- Heat the non-dairy milk in a small pan until lukewarm.
- Put the warmed non-dairy milk, sugar, yeast and 1/2 of the flour in a bowl and gently whisk together.
- Place the mixture in a warm spot and allow the yeast to rise for 1/2 hour.
- When the yeast begins to bubble, gently stir the mixture from time to time so that the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the batter and gently stir together. It will be a thick smooth batter.
to make the sauce:
- Combine the berries, sugar, and a bit of water in a small pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring up to a low boil and stir gently until the berries break down and release their natural juices.
- Push the mixture through a sieve and return into the pan and to the stove.
- Mix the lemon juice, a bit of water and cornstarch to make a paste and add to the berry sauce.
- Cook the sauce until it become clear and thickens.
to make the blintz:
- Spray a small frying pan with vegetable oil.
- Ladle a small amount of batter onto the hot pan and rotate the pan to evenly coat with the batter.
- The underside of the blintz is done when small bubbles appear on the top side and it becomes dry.
- Remove from the pan and lay on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Prepare the pan for the next blintz and continue until all of the batter is used.
to assemble the blintz:
- Place a teaspoon of the on-dairy cream cheese along one side of the blintz and roll up. We used a non-dairy cream cheese made by Soyananda. Tofutti or another sort of no-dairy cream cheese would also work well.
- Place the blintz on a plate and drizzle some of the berry sauce over.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.