Vegan Blintzes with Mixed Berry Sauce
This is a lovely way to enjoy fresh berries that are in season. It’s quite easy to make the batter and just fill with a vegan non-dairy cream cheese.
Yield: 8 medium large pancakes/blintzes
for the blintz batter:
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 2 egg replacements
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 small package yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
for the mixed berry sauce:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 pints mixed berries (we used red and black curants)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juiced
to make the batter:
- Heat the non-dairy milk in a small pan until lukewarm.
- Put the warmed non-dairy milk, sugar, yeast and 1/2 of the flour in a bowl and gently whisk together.
- Place the mixture in a warm spot and allow the yeast to rise for 1/2 hour.
- When the yeast begins to bubble, gently stir the mixture from time to time so that the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the batter and gently stir together. It will be a thick smooth batter.
to make the sauce:
- Combine the berries, sugar, and a bit of water in a small pot over medium-high heat.
- Bring up to a low boil and stir gently until the berries break down and release their natural juices.
- Push the mixture through a sieve and return into the pan and to the stove.
- Mix the lemon juice, a bit of water and cornstarch to make a paste and add to the berry sauce.
- Cook the sauce until it become clear and thickens.
to make the blintz:
- Spray a small frying pan with vegetable oil.
- Ladle a small amount of batter onto the hot pan and rotate the pan to evenly coat with the batter.
- The underside of the blintz is done when small bubbles appear on the top side and it becomes dry.
- Remove from the pan and lay on a paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
- Prepare the pan for the next blintz and continue until all of the batter is used.
to assemble the blintz:
- Place a teaspoon of the on-dairy cream cheese along one side of the blintz and roll up. We used a non-dairy cream cheese made by Soyananda. Tofutti or another sort of no-dairy cream cheese would also work well.
- Place the blintz on a plate and drizzle some of the berry sauce over.