Sweet Potato Apple Soup
This is a very tasty fall soup. It is slightly sweet yet tangy from the apples. The organic apple juice makes a big difference with the flavor and healthiness of the soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 & 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup organic apple juice
- salt and white pepper to taste
- vegan cream, optional
- chives and nutmeg as garnish
- Prepare the leeks, carrots, sweet potatoes and apples.
- Heat the vegan margarine im a large sop pot and add the vegetables and apples to the pot.
- Add the apple juice and 1/2 of the water or enough until all the vegetables are submerged.
- Lightly season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg,
- Bring the soup to a boil then turn it down to simmer.
- When the potatoes are soft, puree the soup. We used an immersion blender.
- If the soup is too thick, you can add more apple juice or the rest of the water.
- If desired you can add a non-dairy creamer, however we found the soup to be delicious already.
- We served the soup garnished with sprinkled nutmeg and some chopped chives.