Red Cabbage Slaw with Orange Tahini Dressing
This colorful salad is delicious. We enjoyed it as a lunch, but it would be great at any meal, even special holiday meals.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned (cut as matchsticks)
- 1-2 organic apples, cored and cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- handful chives, chopped as garnish (optional)
for the orange tahini dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1-2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 2″ knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- To prepare the salad: Cut a wedge from the red cabbage and using a good vegetable peeler, shave the red cabbage in fine shreds. Continue using all of the cabbage.
- Slice the red onion very finely and separate the rings.
- Add to the red cabbage and toss lightly.
- Peel the carrots and slice in long matchstick shapes.
- Add the carrots to the red cabbage and lightly toss.
- Prepare the dressing by placing all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and pulsing to a smooth consistency.
- Chop the walnuts.
- Shortly before serving, core and chop the apples in small pieces and add to the salad.
- Lightly toss the salad.
- Sprinkle the walnuts on top and optionally garnish with a few chopped chives.
- Serve the salad with the dressing in a carafe for each to help themselves.
- Alternatively you can put the dressing on and toss, this will create a light purple sauce on the salad and the ingredients will become slightly wilted. Some prefer it this way, others prefer the crisp vegetables for each to mix as they wish.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.