Bulgur Salad with Pomegranate Seeds
This bright and colorful salad is full of flavor and would go well with many holiday meals.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 cup bulgur
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 small zucchini, washed and cut in small cubes
- 2½ cups peas
- 7 ounces sugar snap peas, washed and sliced
- 4 spring onions, white and light green parts sliced
- 1 large bunch parsley, washed and chopped
- 1 large bunch mint, leaves removed from the stems, washed and chopped
- 1 pomegranate, arils
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
to prepare the salad ingredients:
- Bring the 3 cups of water to boil in a medium pot.
- Add the vegetable bouillon.
- Add the bulgur and stir.
- Once the bulgur begins to boil, turn the heat down to simmer and cook until the bulgur is soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed. (10 minutes)
- Remove from the heat and place a lid or plate on the top for the bulgur to further swell.
- Prepare the peas. If they are fresh, then blanche, of they are frozen, thaw, if they are canned, drain.
- Wash and cut the zucchini.
- Slice the spring onions.
- Clean and slice the pea pods. If the are large, slice, if they are small merely cut of the stem ends.
- Slice the top off the pomegranate.
- Carefully pry the pomegranate open, revealing all the red arils.
- Separate the arils from the pomegranate and place in a small bowl of water. Any excess non-edible parts will float and you can remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Pour the arils and water through a strainer.
to make the dressing:
- Pour the olive oil in a bowl.
- Add the white wine vinegar.
- Add the Thai hot and sweet sauce.
- Add the red pepper flakes.
- Add the lime juice and with a whisk or fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
to make the salad:
- Drain the bulgur by placing in a sieve.
- Place the bulgur in a large bowl.
- Add the prepared peas, zucchini, spring onions and pea pods.
- Pour the dressing over and gently mix. Wash the parsley and chop.
- Add the chopped parsley to the salad.
- Take the largest leaves from the mint sprigs. wash and chop. You will want at least 2 handfuls of the mint leaves.
- Add the chopped mint leaves.
- Add most of the pomegranate arils to the salad and gently mix the salad.
- Serve the salad in a large serving bowl, or individual bowls.
- We garnished the salad with a few mint leaf tips and the rest of the pomegranate arils.