Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Salad with a Rhubarb and Redcurrant Vinaigrette
As rhubarb season is just beginning, we were happy to enjoy this delicious salad dressed with a special vinaigrette.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- handful chives, chopped
for the vinaigrette:
- 2 stalks rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup redcurrant syrup or jam
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Place the cauliflower pieces on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the cauliflower pieces and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Place in the oven and roast until lightly browned (15-20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils. Place the cup of lentils in 2½ cups of lightly salted water and cook until soft for about 15 minutes. You want them soft but yet still holding their form, al dente.
- At the same time, wash the rhubarb and place in a sauce pan.
- Cover with water and cook the rhubarb until soft.
- Once soft, remove from the heat and puree.
- Add the red currant sauce or jam.
- Add the mustard, vinegar and oil and mix well or puree again.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and possibly a bit of sugar or more redcurrant syrup if you want it sweeter.
- To prepare the salad: Drain the lentils and place in a bowl.
- Add the cumin and mix.
- Chop the chives and add to the lentils.
- Add the roasted cauliflower pieces and lightly toss to mix.
- We served the warm salad on a small bed of lettuce dressed with the rhubarb vinaigrette. You could also consider adding a few cubes of non-dairy cheese, however we found the salad delicious already.