Rhubarb Scones with Vegan Strawberry ‘Butter’
We enjoyed these delicious scones for our Sunday morning breakfast. They would also make a nice tea time treat or a special brunch.
Yield: 6-8 scones
for the scones:
- 3 stalks rhubarb, cut in small pieces
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2/3 cup soy yogurt (a bit more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the vegan strawberry ‘butter’:
- 5-6 fresh strawberries, cleaned and chopped
- ½ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Clean and slice the rhubarb into small pieces.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of the sugar on top and gently toss to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 245ºF (120ºC)
- Prepare a cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Place the flour in a bowl.
- Add the baking powder salt and the rest of the sugar.
- Cut or rub in the vegan margarine until it resembles sand.
- Add the rhubarb pies and gently mix.
- Add the vanilla extract to the soy yogurt and mix.
- Add the soy yogurt to the dry ingredients and gently mix until all is moistened.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured workspace and gently fold 4-6 times.
- Form a large circle with the dough and place onto the baking parchment.
- Slice the dough into 6ths or 8ths and slightly separate from each other.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven when done.
- to make the vegan strawberry ‘butter’: Cream the vegan margarine and powdered sugar together.
- Shortly before serving the scones, clean all and chop all but one of the strawberries.
- Add the chopped strawberries to the vegan margarine and stir well to mix.
- Use the 1 strawberry as garnish for the top of the strawberry ‘butter’.
- Enjoy the warm scones with the strawberry ‘butter’.