Vegan Cheesy Stuffed Hungarian Peppers
This recipe is really worth the effort, it was delicious. Although I must admit it took time to make, it wasn’t that difficult. We served the peppers on pasta with tomato sauce.
- 4 (2 per person) medium large Hungarian Peppers (banana peppers)
- pasta noodles for 2 (taglitelli, fetucinni etc.)
for the cheesy sauce:
- 1½ cups soy yogurt or quark
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- ¼–½ teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- splash lemon juice
- 4 pounces non-dairy cheese, shredded
for the TVP sausage crumbles:
- ½ cup TVP granules
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
for the tomato sauce:
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon each oregano, basil, thyme
- First, make the sausage crumbles.
- Place the TVP in a bowl.
- Add the seasonings.
- Pour the boiling water over and mix well. Set aside and allow to swell.
- Next, make the cheese sauce.
- Place the soy yogurt or quark in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Grate the non-dairy cheese to shred it if necessary.
- Proceed to the peppers.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400℉/205℃.
- Oil an ovenproof baking dish that has a lid. (such as a casserole dish)
- Clean the peppers.
- Using a paring knife, open a “window” on one side of the pepper, the entire length of the pepper.
- Carefully remove the seeds and inner veins. Do this for each of the peppers.
- Fill each pepper about 1/2 of the way up with the sausage crumbles.
- Place a layer of the cheese sauce on top of the crumbles.
- Top the cheese spread with the grated cheese.
- Lay the pepper in the casserole dish. Do this with all of the peppers. Place the lid on top and into the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, prepare the tomato sauce and cook the pasta.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and sauté until glassy.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes
- Add the minced garlic and stir to mix well..
- Add the spices and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pot of lightly salted water and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook al dente.
- To serve the meal.
- Drain the water from the cooked pasta.
- Place a generous serving of pasta in the bottom of each bowl.
- Add a layer of tomato sauce.
- Place one or two peppers in the center of the meal.
- Serve hot.