Barley, Chickpea Salad with Carrots and Pumpkin Seeds
This tasty salad is good served warm or cold and easy to put together. Barley is one of our favorite grains.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup dry pearl barley
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice or combination
- 1 teaspoon mild mustard
- 2 ounces pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- served with lettuce
- Wash the barley and place in a sauce pan.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and cook until the barley is soft.
- When done, remove from the heat, drain off any extra water and place in a mixing bowl or salad bowl.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the cooked pearl barley.
- Peel the carrots and grate or slice in thin matchsticks. Add the carrots to the barley and chickpeas.
- Make the dressing by mixing the olive oil, vinegar and or lemon juice, minced garlic and mustard together.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix gently.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry frying pan.
- Season the salad with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the salad on lettuce garnished with the pumpkin seeds on top.