Roasted Rutabaga Wedges with Walnut, Apple, Date Soy Yogurt Dip
These were mega tasty. We are so thankful for rutabaga as a vegetable that lasts well over the cold winter months and into spring. And, this is an easy and delicious way to enjoy them.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 2 pound rutabaga
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch red chili flakes
- pinch salt
for the dip:
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 cups soy yogurt
- 8 dates, de-seeded, chopped
- 1/3-1/2 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- small splash hot pepper sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F/205°C.
- Peel the rutabaga and cut into bite-sized wedges.
- Place the rutabaga pieces in a bowl and drizzle the olive oil over.
- Toss with a spoon to evenly cover the rutabaga pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and place the rutabaga wedges on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and chili pepper flakes.
- Place in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 handfuls of walnuts in a blender and pules to make the walnut meal.
- Add the soy yogurt and pulse again.
- De-seed the dates, chop and place in a bowl.
- Add a bit of boiling water and allow to soften for a few minutes
- Add the soften dates to the yogurt and pule to blend.
- Add the lemon juice, salt black pepper and pepper sauce.
- Remove the mixture from the blender and place in a bowl.
- Peel the apples and grate the apples into the yogurt mixture.
- When the rutabaga pieces are done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve the rutabaga pieces with the dip.
This is so tasty, you may want to make a double amount especially if serving as finger food for a party or brunch.