End of the Summer Garden Risotto
As summer begins to wind down, we have some summer plants still producing vegetables. We are always happy to harvest and will until the frost gets serious. We have started fall and winter vegetables and are looking forward to seeing what will make it over the winter. Meanwhile, this is a delicious risotto that we’ve enjoyed.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 zucchini or summer squash, cubed
- 1½ cups corn
- 4-5 small or 1 large carrots
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 12 cherry or 6 small tomatoes, cut in halves or quarters
- splash lemon juice
- pinch thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- thyme sprigs and lemon slice as garnish
- Wash and prepare all the vegetables for the meal.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the carrots and bell pepper pieces, onion pieces and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the risotto rice and warm, mixing so that all the grains are covered with the oil.
- Add the white wine and stir to mix.
- As the wine is absorbed, add some of the vegetable bouillon.
- Add the garlic, corn and zucchini.
- Continue to stir.
- As the rice continues to absorb the liquid, add more until the rice is soft.
- Add the peas and cherry tomatoes last.
- Add a splash of lemon juice and a good pinch of thyme.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and slice of lemon.