Vegan Pea and Kale Patties
We saw these amazingly green patties or fritters online and really looked forward to making a vegan version using the fresh kale from our garden. They are really tasty.
Yield: 7 patties
- 1 cup peas, frozen, thawed
- 2½ cups kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt, cream cheese or quark
- 3 egg replacements
- 1¾ ounces chia seeds
- 1 lemon , zested
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 2 spring onions, chopped green parts and white
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the egg mixture to the non-dairy yogurt mixture, and add the chia seeds to that and allow the chia seeds to swell in the liquid.
- Meanwhile, place the clean, de-stemmed kale in a food processor and pulse to make fine shredded green kale.
- Add the peas, the mint leaves and the chopped spring onions to the kale and pulse again to create a fine mixture.
- Remove from the food processor and place the mixture in a bowl.
- Add the chia, yogurt, egg mixture to the vegetables and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon zest.
- By this time your mixture should be thick and will hold together. If it does not, I would suggest adding a tablespoon of nut meal such as almonds or walnuts to thicken the mixture. You could add dried breadcrumbs, but then the recipe would no longer be gluten free.
- Form patties from about 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Heat a bit of oil in a large frying pan and fry the patties to a light golden brown crust on each side.
- We served the patties with a small salad of mixed spicy greens such as arugula and mustard greens and added a lemon wedge for each to squeeze fresh lemon juice on their patties.
These are adapted from https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/kale-pea-and-ricotta-fritters.