Winter Squash, Apple Risotto with Smokey Tofu Pieces
This is a lovely meal. We made it a long time ago, and have now updated the recipe and took new photos.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups winter squash, bite sized pieces
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 apples (organic), cored and chopped or sliced
- 8-12 ounces smokey tofu pieces
- 1 bell pepper (red or yellow), de-seeded and hopped
- 1 chili pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons Italian herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives and or basil as garnish
- Sauté the onion in oil
- Add the bell pepper pieces.
- Add the cider or apple juice, and vegetable bouillon powder and bring to a simmer.
- Add the squash chunks and cook for 5-10 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Add rice and stir.
- As the rice absorbs the liquid, add in an additional 1- 2 cups of hot water, one at a time and bring to simmer.
- Add tofu pieces and mix well.
- Add the apple pieces, cook a few minutes more minutes.
- Add the chilies and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped chives, basil or other fresh herbs.