Borscht – the Vegan Version
Borscht is one of our favorite soups that can be a meal in itself. We really enjoy it over the winter months.
Serving Size: 4
- 3 medium potatoes, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 large beets, peeled and grated
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 bell pepper, de-seeded and cut in small cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 6 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dollop per bowl non-dairy yogurt
- spring of dill as garnish
- Prepare the vegetables:
- Chop the red onion and bell pepper.
- Peel and cut the potatoes.
- Peel and grate the beets and carrots.
- .Finely shred the cabbage.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the chopped onion and pepper.
- Sauté until the begin to soften.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable bouillon.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until the potatoes begin to soften.
- Add the beets and carrots.
- Add the bay leaves and cook the soup until the beets and carrots begin to soften. As they are grated it won’t take too long (5-7 minutes).
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes and dill and lemon juice.
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste with black pepper and salt if needed.
- Add the cabbage last and cook until al dente.
- Garnish the soup with a dollop of non-dairy yogurt and a sprig of dill.