Lebanese Green Beans with Tomatoes (Loobyeh)
We really enjoyed this meal of a cool fall evening. The flavors are mild, yet with enjoyable spiciness. It is a traditional Lebanese recipe, easily adapted to be vegan using the TVP medallions.
Serving Size: 4
- 6 ounces dried dried TVP medallions or large chunks
- boiling water
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 cups green beans, ends trimmed off and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper to taste
- served on white rice
- chopped parsley as garnish
- Place the dried TVP medallions or chunks in a bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and pour the boiling water over the TVP.
- Allow the TVP to swell for 10 minutes.
- Wash the green beans.
- Cut the ends from the beans and cut them into 2 inch pieces.
- Place the green beans in a steamer and steam al dente.
- Chop the onion and mince the cloves.
- Heat the oil in large frying pan,
- Add the onions and sauté until glassy.
- Be sure to start cooking your rice at this point. (You will want enough rice for 4 servings).
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes and the can of tomato paste.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon allspice and stir well to mix.
- Add the steamed green beans and the TVP pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the meal over a bed of white rice, garnished with chopped parsley and plain non-dairy yogurt.