Thai Curried Hokkaido Soup with Kale
We enjoy many various recipes for pumpkin (winter squash) soup,; but this is by far our favorite.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion or shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 stalk lemmon grass, chopped or 1 teaspoon powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegan red curry paste
- 1 15 ounce can puree winter squash or pumpkin (Hokkaido, butternut), or 1 (14 oz.) can, rinsed and drained, or 3½ cups peeled,
- cubed, steamed and pureed
- 1 can coconut milk, not sweetened
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 cup kale, cleaned, de-stemed and chopped
- coriander and coconut pieces as garnish
- To make the pumpkin puree:
- Peel and cut into cubes the Hokkaido squash.
- Add 1½ cups water and bring to a boil
- Cook the squash until soft, drain off any extra water then puree.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, sauté the chopped red bell pepper and the onions.
- Add ½ of the sautéed pepper and onions to the pumpkin and also puree. Reserve ½ to add to the soup later.
- Add the vegetable bouillon.
- Add the grated ginger, garlic, turmeric, curry paste and lemon grass and stir well.
- Add the coconut milk and season with a pinch of salt.
- Bring the heat to low and continue to warm the soup and blend flavors.
- Shortly before serving add the prepared kale and the rest of the red bell pepper and onions.
- Add a few coriander leaves and 2 tablespoons of lime juice.
- Season to taste with additional salt, curry, or a few drops of chili sauce.
- Garnish with a few of the red bell pepper pieces, some coriander leaves and or some coconut chips.
Offering you this site with free recipes without advertisements or sponsored posts costs time and money. Please support our work and keep us going in following ways:
Buy our cookbook
License our stock photos
Visit vegaliciousphotos for our portofio of authentic vegan food stock photos and videos.