Serving Size: 4
- 16 ounces spirals, bow ties or penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12-16 ounces red kuri squash, butternut squash or pumpkin, de-seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3-4 cups baby spinach, washed and coarse stems removed
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mild mustard
- lemon juice
- sugar (optional, depending on the sharpness of the mustard)
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to packet directions.
Steam the pumpkin pieces until soft but not overly cooked.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium.
Add onion, garlic and chili flakes, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until fragrant.
Add spinach and cook until wilted.
Mix the soy yogurt with the mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, nutmeg lemon juice and an optional pinch of sugar.
Drain the pasta when it is done and return it to the pot.
Add the soy yogurt mixture and stir to coat the pasta evenly.
Add the pumpkin pieces and the wilted spinach and stir to mix well.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serve hot as a side dish or main meal.
If you want a heartier meal, you could add cooked tofu, tempeh or seitan pieces but we were quite satisfied with this as a main meal.