Vegan Pasta with Squash and Spinach
Serving Size: 4
- 16 ounces spirals, bow ties or penne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12-16 ounces red kuri squash, butternut squash or pumpkin, de-seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3-4 cups baby spinach, washed and coarse stems removed
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mild mustard
- lemon juice
- sugar (optional, depending on the sharpness of the mustard)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to packet directions.
- Steam the pumpkin pieces until soft but not overly cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium.
- Add onion, garlic and chili flakes, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Mix the soy yogurt with the mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, nutmeg lemon juice and an optional pinch of sugar.
- Drain the pasta when it is done and return it to the pot.
- Add the soy yogurt mixture and stir to coat the pasta evenly.
- Add the pumpkin pieces and the wilted spinach and stir to mix well.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot as a side dish or main meal.
If you want a heartier meal, you could add cooked tofu, tempeh or seitan pieces but we were quite satisfied with this as a main meal.