Easy Vegan Spicy Peanut Soup with Fresh Mung Bean Sprouts
This is a vegan adaptation of a popular African recipe. It is simplified and for a nice crunchy twist, fresh mung bean sprouts are added just before serving.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbs. oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 liter vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbs. tomato paste
- splash Tabasco
- pinch salt
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 100 grams fresh mung bean sprouts
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan. Add the chopped onions and saute until glassy.
- Add the garlic and lightly brown.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and the peanut butter and stir well to mix.
- Add the tomato paste and spices and allow to simmer until warm and well blended.
- Season to taste with salt, Tabasco and a pinch of sugar.
- Just before serving add the fresh mung bean sprouts do not cook the bean sprouts, as their crunchiness adds a nice contrast to the smooth spiciness of the soup.