Roasted carrot & ginger soup with lemon yogurt
This is one of our top five favorites. It looks great as good as it tastes.
Serving Size: 4
- 500 grams carrots, washed, peeled and sliced
- 1 2inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ liter water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- salt and pepper to taste
for the yogurt:
- 4 tbs. soy yogurt
- 4 tbs. lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbs. corn syrup or fine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 482°F/250°C.
- Put the sliced carrots and grated ginger in a baking dish and add a bit of (non flavorful) oil.
- Roast the carrots for about 1 hour, turning with a spoon once every fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the yogurt sauce.
- When the carrots are soft, saute the onion until glassy, add the garlic, ginger powder and turmeric.
- Add the coconut milk and then the roasted carrots and ginger.
- Puree the mixture. It will be a thick soup. If you prefer it thinner, add a bit of water.
- Season to taste with salt pepper and ginger.
- Serve the soup in a shallow bowl with a generous dollop of yogurt in the middle.