Beet Salad with Pear Chutney and Pomegranate
The pear chutney is what makes this tasty salad special. It tastes and lovely as it is to look at .
Serving Size: 4
- 3 med. beets, cooked sliced with a spiralizer or 1 can shoestring beets
- 2 pears
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- splash vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- small pinch salt
- pomegranate seeds as garnish
- Peel the beets and cook whole, either by boiling or roasting.
- Cut with a spiralizer or alternatively in matchsticks with a mandolin.
- Cut the onion very finely.
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan and add the onions.
- Peel the pears, and remove the core and cut into small pieces.
- When the onions become soft and glassy add the pears, vinegar, sugar and ginger.
- Cook until the pears soften.
- Mix and mash well using a fork.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. You may want to add other seasonings as clove or a dash of cayenne, however I wanted the chutney to remain white.
- Serve the beets on a small bed of lettuce, with the pear chutney over the beets.
- Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds on top.