Winter Pizza – Pumpkin with Vegan Cheddar Dollops
This was a really tasty pizza. We enjoyed this immensely. We made a whole wheat pizza crust, topped it with a simple tomato sauce, the steamed pumpkin pieces, plopped dollops of vegan homemade cheddar sauce here and there and added some grated soy cheese on top. Baked the pizza for about 18-20 minutes. Then we were transported to heaven.
Yield: 1 med-large pizza
for one wholewheat pizza dough:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat four
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1 pkg. yeast
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- small pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
for the pumpkin/butternut squash:
- 2-3 cups pumpkin, de-seeded and cut into small cubes
for the tomato sauce:
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1-2 cans water
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb blend
- small sprinkle garlic powder
- small sprinkle onion powder
for the cheddar cheese dollops *1:
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-3 tablespoons miso
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- splash lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2-1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- pinch sugar or agave
- 1/2 block soy cheese grated
to make the dough:
- Place the flours and salt in a bowl and whisk to mix.
- Put the sugar and yeast in the warm water and allow to bubble for 3 – 5 minutes or so.
- Pour the yeasted water into the flour.
- Add the oil and mix with a mixer.
- Put a lid, plate or plastic wrap on top of the bowl and place in a warm spot to rise for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the pizza.
to make the tomato sauce:
- Empty the can of tomato paste into a small bowl.
- Refill the tomato paste can once or twice with water and add to the tomato paste to thin to a sauce consistency.
- Add the seasonings and water and mix well.
to prepare the pumpkin:
- If you have an organic pumpkin or squash, you can leave the outer skin on.
- De-seed the pumpkin and cut in small pieces.
- Place in a steamer and steam until soft.
to make the cheddar sauce:
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir to mix.
- Add the soy milk and stir to bed a thick sauce.
- Add the salt, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powders, stir well to mix.
- Remove from the heat and add the miso, lemon juice and mustard.
- Season to taste with a pinch of sugar and possibly some white pepper if desired.
to make the pizza:
- Preheat the oven to 450 F / 232 C or whatever temperature you usually use to bake pizza.
- When the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured workspace and roll the dough into a nice round pizza.
- Place the dough on the pizza pan.
- Top with the tomato sauce, then the pumpkin pieces.
- Using a tablespoon, place dollops of cheddar sauce here and there on the pizza.
- Grate the soy cheese over the top.
- Place in the oven to bake for about 18-20 minutes or when ever the bottom of the pizza is lightly golden brown and the top is melted.
Some may want to add sage as it is a nice seasoning with pumpkin or butternut squash, however we chose not to as the Italian herbs were perfect with this pizza. We really enjoyed this and will have it again during the winter.
*1 adapted from http://www.veganwolf.com/recipes/sauces/vegancheddarcheese.htm