Beet and Plum Salad with Vegan Cheese
Beets and plums make a great combination. We have an abundance of both beets and plums this year. This recipe is very easy to make and can be enjoyed with a variety of different plums and also different beets. We’ve also had this with yellow beets and yellow plums.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 4 medium large beets, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 & 1/2 lb. plums, cleaned, seeded and quartered or sliced
- 8 ounces vegan cheese, cut into small cubes
- salad greens
for the dressing:
- 1/2 cup white balsamic or fruit vinegar
- 1/8 cup walnut oil
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons mild grainy mustard or fruit mustard
- splash fruit syrup to sweeten, such as red or black current syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the beets as you prefer. It usually depends upon the temperature for us. If it is a hot summer’s day, we will boil the beets rather than heating up the oven. On the other hand, if it is a chilly fall day, we enjoy the warmth of using the oven to prepare the beets.
- Once the beets have been cooked and cooled, cut in whatever form you enjoy. Sometimes we cube them, sometimes they are sliced. This time we cubed them to match the cubes of the vegan cheese.
- Clean and slice the plums, remove and discard the seeds.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by combining the vinegar, oils, mustard and seasonings.
- Whisk to blend.
- Cut the vegan cheese.
- Prepare the salad greens. We used lollo bianco this time. Arugula or even spinach would also be nice with this salad.
- To serve the salad, place the prepared greens on individual salad plates.
- Arrange the beets in the center, and place the plums around the side.
- Top with the vegan cheese and serve the dressing on the side or drizzled over the top.